Sunday 27 July 2014

Bedroom Confessional

Here's another blog name change (because I'm just so indecisive) and update on where I feel like I am right now:

I've never actually met anyone who's said they wanted to be a writer. Maybe it's just where I live, or maybe it's just too broad a term for my generation. Want to be a writer? Ok, what you want to write about? You can say novelist or journalist, say you want to be a music critic or whatever you like, but those things are those things, not just being a "writer".

When I hear "writer" I think Jack Kerouac. Not even him writing, just him outside, with nature. In open farmer's fields with arms outstretched, searching for something. He wrote it all into a typewriter, each letter making a big jolt sound as the thoughts inked onto paper. You can only imagine big, weighty thoughts from such an image. Reading Kerouac isn't really about whatever he's writing about - I wouldn't call him an adventurer or jazz critic, I'd just call him a writer. All the things he saw in life filtered into that typewriter. 

People don't write on typewriters anymore - I sure don't, I write on a computer in a spare room that houses gym equipment and unwatched DVDs or on a laptop in my living room in front of a TV. You ask most people my age what they do in their spare time and they'll say they spend all their time in their bedrooms. I do. All those people you thought had really busy lives too. It's my generations thing. 

I think my biggest problem has always been writing like me - that whole thing about finding a "writer's voice". I'm gonna start writing about different things, about myself and the thoughts I have, and not doing as many reviews. I guess I'm a cliche: want to be a writer but don't know what to write about. So I'm just going to write about the world and filter it through the keys on my laptop. 

Bedroom Confessional 
Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment